What happens to junk vehicles donated through Cars for Homes?
- They’re typically hauled to auto salvage yards.
- There, all reusable car parts, batteries, tires and fluids are removed.
- Cars that can be recycled are crushed, shredded and recycled into steel.
How does car recycling benefit the environment?
- A huge amount of steel is kept out of landfills – enough to build nearly 45,000 steel-framed homes every year.
- The energy saved each year is enough to power about 18 million households.
How does Habitat for Humanity benefit from recycled cars?
- Recycled cars are sold to direct buyers and hulk haulers who prepare them for processing into recycled steel.
- Habitat is paid for these cars, although the revenue is less for a recycled car than a car that is purchased at an auction by a car dealer for resale.